The Hiss are a reptilian humanoid race native to Nakhara.
Hiss resemble reptilian humanoids with a large tail and a hunchback studded with quills (the quills are not sharp, they help radiate heat away from their bodies). They are omnivorous and diurnal. While their skin color tends toward earth tones, it can also change color in a matter of minutes. Their skin gets darker in cool environments and lighter in warmer ones.
Three to six weeks (3d2) after fertilization, hiss females give birth to two to eight eggs (2d4) which they bury for incubation. The eggs generally hatch after four months.
The hiss have a culture heavily influenced by their nomadic roots and their traditions of living in the desert. Many still travel the wastes today, while the other races have long since settled. Regardless, they would rather pick up and move than fight a war they cannot win. Whether by sand barge, sailing ship, mounted or wagon, the hiss like to travel. The only thing they love more is coin. Some say the hiss were the first to mint coinage, in fact.
Each clan has an exchequer who guards and distributes the wealth of the clan. Each member is expected to give 10% of their earnings to the clan so that the clan can survive hard times and make investments in the future. Failure to pay into the fund is very impious and can lead to being exiled from the clan.
HISS (13 RP)
-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Wis (0 RP): Hiss are not particularly strong, but are nimble and thoughtful.
Type (0 RP): Hiss are humanoids with the reptilian subtype.
Medium Size (0 RP): Hiss have no modifiers for their size.
Normal Speed (0 RP): Hiss have a land speed of 30 ft.
Languages (0 RP): Hiss may speak either Hissai, Nairani, or Persocheti. Depending whether their parents grew up in the deep desert, rural Nakhara or around the capital of Persochet.
- Low-Light Vision (1 RP): Hiss can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.
- Desert Adapted (2 RP): Hiss receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments.
- Scaled Hide (3 RP): Hiss gain a +2 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
- Sticky Tongue (4 RP): Hiss can make melee attacks with their long, sticky tongues. This is a secondary attack. A creature hit by this attack cannot move more than 10 feet away from the attacker and takes a –2 penalty to AC as long as the tongue is attached (this penalty does not stack if multiple tongues are attached). In addition, the hiss can pull a creature attached to their tongue 5 feet toward them as a swift action.
The tongue can be removed by the target or an adjacent ally by making an opposed Strength check against the attacking creature as a standard action or by dealing 2 points of damage to the tongue (AC 11, damage does not reduce the sticky-tongued creature’s hit points). A member of this race cannot move more than 10 feet away from a creature stuck to its tongue, but it can release its tongue from the target as a free action. A member of this race can only have one creature attached to its tongue at a time.
- Slapping Tail (3 RP): Hiss have a tail they can use to make attacks of opportunity with a reach of 5 feet. The tail is a natural attack that deals 1d8 points of damage plus the user’s Strength modifier.